Sunday, March 4, 2012

Compost

Each person is different when it comes to composting opinions. Some say never put meat in the compost. I read one account of where an individual did just that with no ill effects. Some say vermicompost under your sink. This consists of shredded newspaper, worms and leftover produce in a container under your kitchen sink. Still yet others throw in produce only with dirt and yard waste. Me on the hand, I do not use anything that I am unsure of. In other words when it comes to produce, how long has it been in the store? Where did it come from before it got to the store and how long was it in transport? Too many questions I know but if you consider this stuff sits around on occasion for at least two weeks at a time it can not possibly be good. After all composting is supposed to be the natural process of decay by biodegradable products good for the planet. Chemicals are harsh and destructive and therefore should never be used on anything ingested by the living (human or animal). I use cut grass and dead leaves and sometimes when available I get coffee grounds from my local Starbucks (not meant as a plug). I would really love to have my own home with a good ten acre spread so I could have some farm animals to help with better compost nutrition. Certain types of animals' excretion may be used as fertilizer. that is much more natural then what is made by man. I am working on a collective list of natural soil nutrients so as soon as I have that ready I will make that available here. 'Till later happy reading and ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Donate for Day X