Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Time to Sow

Well it is time again to get those seeds started. I just came back in from sifting some compost.
 I went out to turn my compost and found this... 
The tiny green sprouts I moved into this container are tomato's. There is one more plant in here that I believe to be from an orange seed. I know that I am not supposed to put seeds in the compost but I did not want to throw them away and had no other place to put them at the time.
My tomato plant is bent outta shape due to the quick wrap job we did to protect them from the cold weather this winter.I also have
brussel sprouts and eggplants that have done fairly well. Better then most of the stuff I have planted so far and then there is
my rosemary. I had corn but during silking they require alot of water and I lost that because of the little time my job allowed me to have. The strawberry plant produced some yummy strawberries but not nearly as much as I expected. I am going on my third year of planting and I have learned alot. In all the research I have done I have taken notes and done a little trial and error and discovered some things that might make this work better for me. I have bought seeds for different produce but what I am still looking for is cotton seeds and strawberry seeds. I am looking for organic. I believe that using companion planting and having flowers in the garden to attract beneficial insects prevents the use of chemicals. Using chemicals kills beneficial insects and causes pest infestation. I apologize if this is a bit jumbled. I sort of just threw this together as my attention was divided between a fussy baby and a fussy kitten. More to come as time allows. 'Till later happy reading and ciao. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Donate for Day X