Saturday, March 17, 2012

Late As Always

I can never seem to get started on time. Not to mention when I want to do yard work or cleaning my boyfriend surprises me with that being his day off. I would love to be able to get him to spend a day working in the garden with me but his would be my excuse. It is too hot outside. I have come to the conclusion that global warming is a bi-product of population. By that I mean the more people there are to house the more buildings are built and the more heat builds up in certain areas due to poor building design. Are buildings not supposed to be built for heating/cooling efficiency on top of good air flow from coast to coast? Anyway I digress.
My planting always seems to get done out of season. Thankfully I live in zone nine so I can plant anytime with rarely a problem. The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map can be found here. Well I have done my best to get some work done this week. I added some leaves and coffee grounds to one of my compost bins. I went to check it today and this is what I saw...
It has compacted a bit but that is fine. I will give it a few more days then add some more leaves and some of what most people would call weeds. During the time I'm hot composting I keep the bins lidded which helps the vegetation rot quicker.
This is the bin I use to add from when I am composting. I also use this bin to sift from into...
here so I have pure unadulterated dirt to use for planting in. I have always loved playing in the dirt and those that know me would say I am just making things harder with the way I am doing it but this is how I like doing it. I am going to finish now and work on getting some more planted while I wait for my heirloom strawberry seeds to come in. Till later, happy reading and ciao. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Donate for Day X